Monday, November 10, 2008

Thoughts on the Election

Now that we're all basically past our post election hangovers, I figured I'd weigh in on a few thoughts and observations I had in the weeks leading up to what some have deemed one of the most historically significant elections of all time. Not that my opinions mean anything to anyone mind you, but so many things bothered me that I'm sure my wife will appreciate someone else having to listen to my ranting besides just her. So without further ado (or any ado really) here is what I thought of the election:

- I'm wondering how long we're going to call Obama the first black president of the US instead of simply the 44th president of the US? Don’t misunderstand me; I do understand the historical significance. But how long should we dwell on it? And more importantly, how much of a factor should it have even been in the first place? I'll tell you right now, if you voted for Obama because he was black or if you voted against him because he was black, then you made an ignorant and uninformed decision. And our country is no better off for it. If you truly think that Obama has the right agenda to take our country forward, then fine, that's what democracy is all about. But if, deep down, you simply voted for him because he was black and it was historical, then shame on you. And frankly, you may have done more to further racism in this country than you did to expel it.

- In a related thought, I basically just can’t believe how uninformed we seem to be as a voting public in general. Maybe it’s just who the news organizations chose to interview, but I saw so many utterly ignorant and uninformed voters on TV that it nearly made me think that we should reconsider this whole democracy thing. Ok, not really, but people really do amaze me. I saw countless interviews where it was clear that the person was voting for Obama simply because he was black or because he was not named George W. Bush. Most had no idea what Obama’s platforms were and some didn’t even know who his running mate was. Amazing.

- On the flip side, I don’t like how much emphasis “Christians” seem to put on the social platforms. I saw interviews with so many people that probably had no idea what McCain’s tax plan or foreign policies were, but by golly he opposes abortion so he must be the right man for the job. Since when did being a moral person mean that you were qualified to be in office? I couldn’t believe how many people I knew voted for Mike Huckabee in the primaries simply because he was a former minister. Let’s try something. Raise your hand if you think that Iran will agree to shut down their nuclear program if we make abortion illegal. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? I didn’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Christ follower and I hold the Bible to be my ultimate truth and authority. I’m as opposed to many of these issues as anyone. But I feel that God has given me, as a follower of Him, the task of spreading that message, not the government. I want the government to keep me safe. I want them to focus on health care, on education, on energy concerns, on taxation issues. If that means voting for someone that may hold to a slightly different moral standard than myself, then so be it. I’ll continue the Great Commission regardless.

- I think we put way too much stock in one single person. The President may be at the top of the totem pole, so to speak, but it’s a three headed pole, each head designed by our forefathers to offer checks and balances to the other two. Obama won’t be doing it alone any more than McCain would have been or any more than Bush has been. Aside from the other branches of government, the President is continually surrounded by secretaries, cabinet members and advisors. Although he is the commander-in-chief and does have some ultimate authority, the President rarely has to make a policy decision on his own. And as such, we need to stop elevating our leaders to the nearly messianic levels that we oftentimes do. It’s just one person people.

- My last thought here is also the most important. It’s Romans 13:1-3.

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.

Whether it’s our American President, the leader of one of our allies such as Britain, Spain, or Canada, or it’s the harshest of dictators from Iran, Cuba, China, or North Korea, ALL authority on earth is established by God. And as such, we are called (actually commanded) as Christ followers to submit to those authorities. In the end, now that the election is over, I really don’t care who you voted for or why. I don’t care what you may or may not think about Obama being president. The simple fact is that he has a mess to deal with. The economy is crumbling; health care and social security are on shaky ground, and in just less than a day after being elected, the US received a new threat from Iran. I don’t envy this man at all. Personally, I went back and forth a few times on whom I was going to vote for this year. I really did. In the end, I voted for John McCain. I have my reasons and I’d like to think it was an educated decision. But as of this moment, Barack Obama has my full support and my prayers are with him. God has a plan for this world and Obama has a part to play in it. I have no idea what it is, but I can’t wait to find out.

No comments: